San Diego, California
Within the R&D Software Architecture team, this engineer/architect will work with marketing as well as firmware, data, software, and mobile app engineering subject matter experts to define architecture as well as define and guide the process of architecture development, and software development.
They will need to use sound and proven systems engineering principles, best practices and concepts in order to capture and develop technology and product requirements from internal and external stakeholders, understand and quantify product use conditions, support the design of software architectures, identify/manage product interfaces, resolve/optimize tradeoffs between conflicting requirements, lead technology ideation, proof of concept, and downselection activities, facilitate communication between functional teams, and plan/execute subsystem and system integration testing and verification.
This engineer may also lead or support activities to understand the current and future needs of our customers and our business, explore and evaluate new technologies and concepts for meeting those needs, and rapidly demonstrate feasibility of such technologies through rigorous modeling, analysis, prototyping, experimentation, and other risk identification and mitigation activities.
Working as a member of a technology team, this engineer will collaborate and communicate with company management, marketing, quality assurance, alliance partners and other departments and vendors.
This engineer is also expected to serve as an authority and advocate for the effective and consistent application of So ware Architecture across intra-departmental groups and processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Evaluates and guides scalable, testable, and reliable architecture and subsequent development of a project
• Espouses the benefits of CI/CD (Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery) and assists product teams in implementing and maintaining those tools
• Coordinates with product and project management to provide an understanding of the technical feasibility of new roadmap items
• Identifies and corrects ineffective or missing processes or tools which may be a hindrance to project execution
• Works with Test Engineering to create comprehensive automated testing suites
• Works with Sr. Engineers to architect best-in-class solutions
• Proactively identifies risks, communicates them clearly to the team and to stakeholders, and helps plan for success through mitigation options
• Technical voice for communications with Apple, Google, and other third parties
• Staying abreast of the latest technologies and industry trends to serve the interests and needs of the Engineering Program.
• Works with other cross functional engineering teams to validate API, content and architecture decisions
• Assists Project Manager with generating new project plans and sprint capacity planning
• Works to establish strong SDLC practices for teams
• Drives product excellence by helping teams define and build products that generate measurable value
• 12+ years of experience in a software engineering capacity
• 3+ years of engineering leadership experience — including leading teams and developing individuals
• Deep understanding of software engineering and established best practices
• Proficient with one or more of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web, API, Backend, Test Engineering)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related, Master’s Degree in Computer Science preferred
Language Skills: Must be able to communicate effectively in English. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Please note: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons